Graphic Novel base Images
One Off Images
1. ROSE - In theory my first painting focused solely on plant life. A comment from one of the students I worked with got me thinking and I realised that I hadn't actually done anything like that.
Created in Rebelle over a period of a week for my mothers Christmas card. I utilised Rebelles ability to pick up the brush marks of lower layers to add texture to the petals.
2. VISUAL REPRESENTATION OF TIME DILATION - Photoshop with a wee bit of 3D, photography (both face and Europe at night).
3. PLASMA FIELD - A bit of play with some recently acquired brushes and overlay layers for the colouring.
4. SUPERNOVA REMNANTS - Using the same technique in PLASMA FIELD but mixes in a bit of Painter (Particles brushes)/
5. LEO NEBULA - The base image is created in Painter and Photoshop as a greyscale image. The colours are then painted on a separate layer (in Photoshop) using Overlay layer mode.
6. LIVING IN ITAL - A bit of a homage to one of my favourite British sci-fi artists - the late Peter Elson.
Created in Photoshop using a multitude of brushes and an emboss filter (to give the clouds a bit of depth).
7. AURORA - A mix of Rebelle (trees and snow), Painter (Aurora, particle brushes) and Photoshop (starscape).
8. LITTLE RED - Rebelle
9. LIL' RED - A more grown up iteration of the classic story. The painting is part of a wider story arc that takes in all of the classic fairy tales and transposes them into a post apocalyptic world.
10. CONCEPT, MINE HEAD - Part of the same universe as Lil' Red. Sleeping Beauty stumbles across the Seven Dwarfs Mining Co. and a bit of a sticky situation with their Ops Chief - Snow White.
11. CONTEX A2 SCANNER - Rebelle, created for the new student induction as part of the "What IT equipment is available to you" section.
12. EPSON A3 SCANNER - Rebelle, created for the new student induction as part of the "What IT equipment is available to you" section.
13. DELL 27" ALL-IN-ONE - Rebelle, created for the new student induction as part of the "What IT equipment is available to you" section.
14. APPLE MAC - Rebelle, created for the new student induction as part of the "What IT equipment is available to you" section.
15. SAD STONE TENGU - Part of a series of Rebelle paintings illustrating Japanese Tengu (forest/nature spirits).
16. TREE TENGU - Part of a series of Rebelle paintings illustrating Japanese Tengu (forest/nature spirits).
1. AIRCRAFT WRECK - Ink
2. DRAIN OUTLET - Ink.
3. OIL SPILL - Ink.
4. MOONLIT SHORE - 2B pencil.
5. PARASITE DAWN, ALIEN MUTATION - Pencil, 2B/Ink.
6. PARASITE DAWN, STORYBOARD FRAME - Pencil, 2B/Ink.
7. PARASITE DAWN, disembowelled doctor - pencil, 2b.
8. WATERCOLOUR TEST - Testing a new set of watercolours.
9. WATERCOLOUR, RUINED COTTAGE - A ruined cottage overlooking a private beach as a rain clouds roll in.
10. WATERCOLOUR PENCILS, SWAMP
1. SURVIVOR - A series based around one of the novels I'm currently writing.
Created using a mixture of 3D applications and a soupçon of Photoshop for the falling ash and the 'tooning' post work.
2. SURVIVOR - The story revolves around a series of survivors of a mysterious apocalypse that has brought civilisation to it's knees.
3. SURVIVOR - Why the survivors live? there doesn't appear to be a common factor.
4. SURVIVOR - Some are looking for their families.
5. SURVIVOR - Others look out for themselves.
6. SURVIVOR - Living off the carcass of the old world.
7. SURVIVOR - Modelled in 3DS Max, rendered in Vue Infinite 11, the materials are a mix of texture maps (created in Photoshop) and Vue based procedural materials.
1. COLD SHORES - First we had the Day After Tomorrow which appeared to bring out the best in humanity. This looks at the real world implications, the resurfacing of old rivalries and a wholesale shifting of civilisations.
2. COLD SHORES - Plundering the old world conflict arises. Centuries old hatreds come to the fore in the rush to reclaim lost and archived knowledge in long buried data centres and server farms.
3. COLD SHORES - The European nations move south, reclaiming former colonies.
4. COLD SHORES - Forays into the frozen wastes, where death is a mere blizzard away, are launched from permanent bases on the very edges of the cold zones.
5. COLD SHORES - Sometimes the only access to the data stores is by drilling through the ice -
"The team venture below the ice shelf after ground penetrating radar and a bore hole discover an intact space. Venturing down the shaft cut into the ice they find an office and it's unlucky workers, trapped there during the snow storm that would eventually create their tomb, still sitting at their desks staring at photo's of their long dead loved ones."
6. COLD SHORES - "Turning one of the team happens upon an unlucky would be rescuer who got lost and died in the ever increasing snow. The shifting ice having brought her to the window of the office in a macabre scene, seemingly hammering on a frozen over window, shouting at the long dead."
7. COLDS SHORES - Underground access stairwell. Modelled in 3DS Max, UV map created in UV Mapper classic and the texture maps created in Photoshop.
Rendered in Vue Infinite 11.
8. COLD SHORES - The team delves deeper into the underground complex of tunnels and heating ducts, their breath steaming in the sub-zero temperatures.
9. COLD SHORES - Ahead of them they can see the armoured doors of the server farm through the re-enforced glass doors.
10. COLD SHORES - The trans map for the doors glass.
11. COLD SHORES - Door map used as a bump map and colour map (needs redoing frankly).
12. COLD SHORES - Stairwell texture map.
13. COLD SHORES - Stairwell texture map.
14. COLD SHORES - Stairwell mesh.
1. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - A series exploring humanities first steps in to interstellar space. Based upon real world physics and theories, as well as a speculative eye on technology development (largely based upon what is being developed today).
Mars - Garden Planet.
Vue Infinite with a mix of 3DS MAX, Photoshop and Poser for good measure.
2. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Planetary entry on one of the first exploration vessels sent out by humanity.
3. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Having entered the atmosphere a fly by of the landing site.
(Poser, 3DS Max and Photoshop).
4. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - A Close up of one of the frames.
5. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Close up of one of the frames.
3D with a bit of Photoshop to add the flesh in the raptors mouth and the internals of the dead prey.
6. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Concept art for the camp site.
7. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Exploration of the highlands.
HDRI based render - the Photograph was taken on the B6282 in County Durham (in one of those rare days when there wasn't any wind).
The HDRI which the lighting info was taken from was created using a silver Christmas bauble blu tacked onto a camera tripod. This was taken at extreme zoom at various exposure levels then combined in Photoshop. The resulting HDRI was loaded into Vue to use as a source for the lighting set up (it was bang on in regards to position, just needed a tweak to light colour).
8. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - A two man drop ship comes into land alongside the long abandoned remains of an alien aircraft on a dead world. Greeting them is the CO of the scout party.
9. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - On the coast of the same planet a scout ship explores the remains of defence towers. Still armed, the decaying structures lie testament to the beings that built them.
The skeletal super structures of decaying ships lie sprawled around them, an effective reminder of the destructive potential of the weapons of this long dead world.
Modelled in 3D Max, textures created in Photoshop with additional material tweaks created in Vue Infinite (the rust mainly). The Ivy was created with Ivy Generator.
10. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - A downed scout ship pilot runs for her life from a planets native inhabitants.
11. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Hiking into the deep interior a hiker takes a rest, her gaze resting on the rusting remnants of a crashed ship.
12. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Cover. Some things appear to be universal - the stuffed teddy bear, the last thing grasped by a child, remains as a chilling reminder after a war to extinction on an alien planet.
The texture of the mug on the scout in the background is mine (goatee an' all). Rendered in Vue Infinite.
13. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Vehicle shed for a farmstead which incorporates a landing pad, lift, Vehicle port and fuel storage.
14. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Farmstead vehicle shead 3DS Max screenshot.
15. THE PEGASUS QUESTION - Wireframe screenshot.
1. DUST - A catastrophic global event kicks up a smothering, all encompassing dust into the atmosphere. The results see an extinction level event which drops the global temperature, reduces the atmospheric humidity (i.e. no rain) and effects the global wind patterns.
2. DUST - Enclaves manage to survive in various underground bunkers/specially built complexes. Armed to the teeth they begin to venture out into the now dead world in search of resources and other survivors.
Created using a mix of 3DS Max, Poser, Vue Infinite and Photoshop.
1. SPY ISLAND - One of many stories set on an island full of intrigue and violence.
2. SPY ISLAND - Multiple stories weave in and out of each other, with characters stumbling across each other, inadvertently helping or hindering as the fates decide.
3. SPY ISLAND
4. SPY ISLAND
5. SPY ISLAND
6. SPY ISLAND
1. COVER - SECURITY (OK they're actually pollen). Created for a hand out at Bishop Auckland College of a leaflet on network and computer security.
2. NETWORK TYPE - BUS - Part of a handout demonstrating various types of computer network.
3. NETWORK TYPE - RING - Each is accompanied by a passage of text highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each type of network.
4. NETWORK TYPE - STAR
5. NETWORK TYPE - TREE
7. Technical - UK three pin plug. Modelled in 3DS Max.
8. FOUR PIN MOLEX - The standard four pin molex power connection found, most commonly, in PC's.
Modelled in 3DS Max, materials and rendered in Vue Infinite.
9. STANDARD POWER CABLE.
10. RJ45 NETWORK CONNECTOR
11. SERVER (RACK MOUNTED).
1. APEX ROSEMOUNT RADAR GAUGE WIREFRAME
2. APEX ROSEMOUNT RADAR GAUGE INITIAL RENDER
3. INDUSTRIAL FLOAT GAUGE WIREFRAME
4. 3. INDUSTRIAL FLOAT GAUGE CUTAWAY - A frame from an animation demonstrating the operation of a float gauge.
5. FLOW METER, ELECTROMAGNETIC - Frame from an animation.
6. FLOW METER, TURBINE - Frame from an animation.
7. HELICAL SCREW FEED -
8. BELT FEED -
9. VIBRATION FEED
10. CORRECT SCAFFOLD
11. LADDER PLATFORM
12. SCAFFOLD PLATFORM
13. ROOF LADDER - How to correctly position and use roof ladders.
14. LADDER DETAIL
15. STEP LADDER TRESTLE PLATFORM
16. CPR INSTRUCTIONAL IMAGERY
17. CPR INSTRUCTIONAL IMAGERY
18. CPR INSTRUCTIONAL IMAGERY
19. CPR INSTRUCTIONAL IMAGERY
20. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
21. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
22. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
23. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
24. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
25. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
26. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
27. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
28. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
29. STORAGE CAGES/BAYS
30. ADJUSTABLE HOOK WRENCH
32. ADJUSTABLE LOCKNUT
32. C SPANNER
33. FACE LOCKNUT
34. FACE LOCKNUT IN USE
35. PIPE WRENCH IN USE
36. PIPE WRENCH COMPONENT BREAKDOWN
1. COMIC BOOK PORTFOLIO COVER - Competing bounty hunters, taking completely different methodologies, try to hunt down an evasive artist that's withdrawn from the world.
2. OH, THEM - A frame from the, aborted, portfolio graphic novel.
3. HOGFATHER - A bit of inspiration taken from reading the Hogfather.
4. DARK FUTURE - A bit of a revisit to Games Workshops seemingly long forgotten IP.
5. DARK FUTURE GANGER AND CAR - Inspired by Jim Burns' art work for the same IP.
6. DARK FUTURE, GANGER AND HER GIRL
7. DARK FUTURE, REMNANTS
8. TAROT CARD, THE STAR
9. TAROT CARD - THE SUN
10. TAROT CARD, JUDGEMENT
11. TAROT CARD - THE LOVERS
12. THE SNOW QUEEN COMETH... - Inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen story of the same name... with a twist.
13. SHORTCUT HOME
14. THE AGES OF TRANSPORT - Done for a competition (which won, according to the judges the second entry could've nailed the second spot as well).
15. SHE'S 'ARMLESS MATE - A quick play with Vue's material editor to enhance a zombie character texture and a bit of 'armless fun with Photoshop.
16. SHIPWRECK AND ARTIST - A personal fascination with shipwrecks, the story behind how the ship became to be wrecked in the place that it has, what happened to the crew?
17. MOTHER AND CHILD - Deep in the future lizards have evolved back into dinosaur sized creatures. Winters are hard and a mother must fend for her child.
Hard to see in this image but the figure is also carrying a child.
18. CHRISTMAS CARD MK I - What are the mainstays of Christmas presents (generally unwanted)? Yep pants, socks and scarves, in this case sparkly ones.
A card is generally produced by the IT department every year that is then sent out to students and staff alike. This particular year it was my turn to produce said card.
19. CHRISTMAS CARD MK II - Well apparently some do gooders got their knickers in a twist (appropriate I suppose) so I had to change it.
I added wires to the edges of the scarf.
20. FASHION DEPT. GRADUATION DISPLAY, MK I - A to scale model of CCAD's (Cleveland College of Art & Design) 2016 graduating degree classes display of their work.
21. FASHION DEPT. GRADUATION DISPLAY, MK II - Same design but wheel chair accessible.
22. FASHION DEPT. GRADUATION DISPLAY, MK II, PLAN
23. FASHION DEPT. GRADUATION DISPLAY, MK II, EYE LEVEL (CAMERA SET AT 5FT 10").
24. FASHION DEPT. GRADUATION DISPLAY, MK II, EYE LEVEL (CAMERA SET AT 5FT 10").
25. CCAD CHURCH SQUARE CAMPUS 2016/2017 - Exact positioning and detail of the roof line. End of 2017 will see quite a change of layout of the main building (on left).
26. LEADBITTER/ARCHIVE - Contains the Fashion and Costume courses, originally Hartlepool's Library
27. CCAD MAIN BUILDING - Currently contains the Textiles and Surface Design, Fine Art, Photography and Ents degree courses plus main Admin, IT dept (all two of us) and canteen.
The courses are, largely, set to move wholesale to CCAD's new building.
28. MUNICIPAL - Contains the Library as well as Illustration, Graphics and Film & Media degree courses.
29. MUDDY/SLIGHTLY RUSTING TEXTURE FOR FIRE ANGELS MUV VEHICLE (AVAILABLE FROM RENDEROSITY AT TIME OF TYPING).
30. RUINED CITY - A test of a ruined shop front that I modelled/textured.
31. HUMAN ON A HALF SHELL
33. OOO I BET THAT HURT - A multi- threaded image. You've got to follow the figures back through the image.
34. THE OFFERING - When the seasons change, when the world begins to come to life after the harsh slumber of winter, the towns along the east coast of Heathere draw a lottery, the entrants, every young girl among the populations of the towns, are entered. The unlucky winner is taken to the spot and chained to a column erected millennia earlier, where, the myths say, The Survivors from the Crash Site where washed ashore. The elders, in their honour wear the 'holy' symbols of the 'Ist'l' (the original having been placed in the holy shrine where the survivors are rumoured to be buried) and a miniature casting of the original helmet during the ceremony, which is held in the shadow of the relic. All this in the hope that, one day, The Survivors return and bring untold wealth and bounties to the towns.
35. SELPHINE - A tribute to Josh Kirby's character of the same name (who was a infamous slayer of Trolls).
36. SHIPWRECKED - The last surviving member of the first international interstellar Earth ship struggles ashore on an alien world far from home. Above, the stars of an unfamiliar sky glitter, in their harsh embrace an automate distress beacon broadcasts a mayday in the forlorn hope of someone, anyone, of hearing it.
Done in homage to a similar painting by David Bergen which I love thanks to the title of the painting and the image.
37. TOMB RAIDING, VICTORIAN STYLE - A multi-layered render incorporating three separate renders for the zombie/mummy figure. Post work included the zombie/mummy figures flaking dried skin (rust/flaking paint) loose hair, sweat and cobwebs.
38. SUNKEN SHIPWRECK - There goes the personal interest thing again. This time the wreck is wreathed in coral and other forms of growth.
39. PENDULUM MONUMENT
40. 29TH BIRTHDAY CAKE
41. LANDING - Above the clouds on another planet, the passenger ship Portandum glides into the upper atmosphere of Porrigitur. Below the colony of Bailey Port awaits its new residents.
42. ZEN ECO HOUSE